Lesson Planning on the Metro

Discussion in 'Teachers Lounge' started by Jonathan Mychal Larson, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Jonathan Mychal Larson

Jonathan Mychal Larson Pacican Teacher

I spend about 2 hours on the metro each day commuting. Since I am going away from the city early in the morning and back in in the afternoon, I almost always get a seat. While it is nice to read and relax, I can't help but wonder how much of a time-saver it would be to get some lesson planning done instead and not have to spend so much time doing it on the weekend, so I can do more fun things. Has anybody had luck lesson planning on the metro, perhaps with an I-pad or tablet? Are there any great places in Shanghai to get a cheap one that would have Powerpoint for lesson planning? I am curious what others experiences are and see what advice anyone might have.

2. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Pacican Teacher

I do sometimes when I've got a bit of time on a spacious metro. I always have my laptop with me so I just whip it out and get to work. The only thing that I don't like is I usually end up stalled at some point because I need the internet for research/ideas/photos. However, it is nice to have some solid work time and be constructive.

3. Edward

Edward Curriculum R&D Administrator

Not exactly the cheapest option, but the best I've found so far is the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I just picked one up, and it's by far the most convenient and portable solution for working on Microsoft Office. It's a hybrid tablet/laptop that runs on Windows 10, so it's compatible with all the Office Suite apps, and it's got a good kick stand on the back for typing on your knees/lap. It's size is perfect for being squeezed in between two other passengers and not having a lot of elbow room. And, it has a mini-display output that you can get a dongle for pretty much any type of video output. So, you can get to the classroom and just plug it right into the monitor and go. All included, I think it ran me about 7-8k RMB with the attachable keyboard, so, like I said, not your cheapest option, but a good one that's a bit more futureproof than other options.

There's a laptop market called Cyberworld or "Cyber something" near People's Square that's a good place to check out a bunch of different options from different companies and you can be sure you're getting what you pay for. That's where I've gotten mine since 2008, and have not been burned yet.